The Surgeon-Scientist Award 2013 is now accepting applications
The Surgeon-Scientist Award will provide one-year funding of around £45,000 - £55,000 including a £10,000 bench fee*.
This one year award will support young surgeons during the transition from their basic surgical training (currently, post-CT2 years) into full time research. As a result, it is hoped that applications for future clinical lecturer posts will be boosted.
Interviews for the Surgeon Scientist Award will take place in May 2013 at the Royal College of Surgeons, London.
Surgical trainees who are members of the VS and are committed to a career in vascular surgery with a strong research interest.
- Candidates should not be in possession of a higher degree such as MD, PhD, MChir, MPhil or MS, or have submitted a thesis to the university at the time of applying. However, applicants possessing a BSc or MSc are eligible to apply.
- MRCS essential.
- The applicant must demonstrate a commitment to active vascular research which may include vascular biology, translational research or clinical research, and have a future goal to seek a senior lecturer award.
- The application should be to work in a centre with a strong proven track-record of research.
- Candidates should be a member of the Vascular Society at the time of application
A full list of terms and conditions can be found by clicking here
Applicants should note that they will be responsible for providing a CRB check prior to interview or evidence that they have applied for one.
If you fit the criteria and would like to apply for the Surgeon-Scientist Award please submit the following documents by 5pm, 1st February 2013.
- SSA Application Form 2013
- A short CV on 2 single-sided pages of A4
NB: The application should be made in 11pt, Arial font
You can download the applications here as word documents.
The Review Process:
The application will be reviewed on:
- The applicant's track record in research
- The strength of the research proposal
- The proposed career development pathway
- The suitability and track record of the Institute or Department where the research project will be carried out
- The closing date for applications is 5pm, Friday 1st February 2013
- Interviews will be held in May 2013, the final date is yet to be confirmed
- We anticipate that the post will commence in August 2013 with a formal award presentation in November
- Good luck to all of you who are submitting applications.
*The award must allow the applicant to work in a centre with a strong proven track record of research.